Friday 11 July 2014

Easting @ Petit Paris, Edinburgh

My score: 4/5
TripAdvisor review: here.
Adress: here.

When I was in Paris, I stayed at a Korean hostel that served delicious Korean food, and the only time I ended up eating out I ordered a French version of a Turkish dish (ha!), so I'm no expert on French food.  In this spirit of ignorance, I was excited to try Petit Paris' offerings as I'd read good things on TripAdvisor.

Petit Paris is located in Grassmarket which is a prime tourist spot, which would normally mean it is a place to avoid (like the plague), but I am pleased to say that Petit Paris is not a tourist trap. The restaurant itself is exactly as one would expect for the area: outdoor seating, atmospheric interior and hunky French waiters enticing in the passing tourists. Aforesaid waiters are friendly and attentive, and I had no complaints with the service. A 10% service charge is added to the bill if you sit outside or are a party of over 8. The menu is fairly priced for Edinburgh, with a small, but wide, selection of dishes. There is also a decently priced set meal if you want to spend less than £10.

My friend and I ordered a glass of the house white each, and while he settled on the cod in saffron and mussel sauce, I ordered the vegetable and goat's cheese pie. We were also given some delicious bread and butter and a side of chunky, salty chips (I'm not sure who dish these belonged to, but they were most welcome!). I was told me pie would take about 20 minutes to cook, but I can't say I felt that I waited to long for my freshly baked pie. All I can say about my friend's dish is that he enjoyed it. As for my pie, it was really rather delicious! The pie is obviously freshly baked and comes to the table in a piping hot ramekin, with the butter still freshly sizzling. The pie crust is light, and on the right side of flaky. The vegetables on the inside (courgette, pepper and tomato) are soft and perfectly seasoned, and the goat's cheese doesn't overpower the dish as can sometimes happen. It's not a heavy dish, but it does an excellent job of satisfying one's taste buds and tummy. At £14.80 it is about £2 overpriced for my liking, but it was delicious and if I'm honest, I'd order it again. Especially if it comes with a side of chips...

So, do I recommend Petit Paris to all those tourists and non-tourists who find themselves in Grassmarket and in need of nourishment? I most certainly do!



No comments:

Post a Comment