Sunday 29 June 2014

Eating @ Quattro Zero, Edinburgh

My score: 3.5/5
TripAdvisor review: here.
Adress: here.

Ah, Quattro Zero! I have mixed feelings about you! So much promise and yet...

Let me start by saying that I am reviewing the take-out lunch menu ONLY, and not the restaurant as a whole. With that out of the way, on to my review!

One rainy workday lunch time I was asking around my work colleagues for recommendations on where I could get something other than a sandwich for my lunch. Upon the suggestion that there was a restaurant nearby that I could get a slice (ha! How little I knew at this point) of wood-oven cooked pizza, I was sold and dutifully headed to Quattro Zero.

To my taste buds, the perfect Margherita pizza has a thin, hand-stetched base, a rich tomato sauce, a sparing layer of fresh buffalo mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil on top. Some fresh tomatoes and basil would be nice. Cook it in a wood oven and I am a happy camper!

For me, the pizza was disappointingly average. The pizza dough is fresh but has a strange aftertaste, especially the crust. The tomato sauce is slightly too sweet and exceptionally normal (no secret recipe sauce here!) and, the worst crime of all, the pizza is covered in cheap mozzarella that solidifies into a cold 'cheese' lump very fast! The end result is an unexceptional pizza that has a lot of promise but ultimately fails to deliver.

What rescues Quattro Zero is that this freshly made, 12" pizza only cost me £3!!! Yes, that's right, £3!  For that price I'm willing to overlook the flavour flaws of Quattro Zero's Margherita pizza and I know I will be returning every now and then for a quick pizza fix. The lunch menu is quite varied encompassing burgers, pasta, panini and, of course, pizza. Everything is priced within £3 to £5.

By the way, pictured is Quattro Zero's mushroom and thyme pizza (also £3) that my workmate ordered. She loves Quattro Zero's pizzas, so I guess in the end whether you enjoy your pizza depends on your personal preferences. At £3 a pizza, it's certainly worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment